Master of Public Health (MPH)

The Master of Public Health (MPH) concentrations of Public Health Nutrition and Veterinary Public Health offered through the College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences (CAAS) are very unique to the region. These programs offer a specific combination of education and applied practice that are tailored to students interested in nutrition and veterinary public health. CAAS MPH students have primarily been practicing dietitians, veterinarians, and other public health professionals who are pursuing continued education to advance their career opportunities. The degrees have increased acceptance rates for students applying to professional schools such as veterinary or medical school. CAAS MPH concentrations are available completely online to accommodate students who have other professional and personal responsibilities. Select courses can be taken face-to-face for students who live in the area and prefer the traditional classroom experience.

Follow us on social media


Start Your Application


Mateja R. Savoie Roskos

MPH Nutrition
CAAS MPH Program Director

jane kelly

Jane Kelly

Veterinary Public Health


Frequently Asked Questions

Is this program 100% online?

Yes! The CAAS MPH program is offered 100% online which means you can take courses from anywhere in the world. You are not required to be on campus or attend classes virtually at any time. With that said, there are plenty of opportunities to connect with faculty and students via Zoom.

Is the CAAS MPH program accredited?

Since the MPH program is new to USU, we are not yet accredited through the Council of Education for Public Health (CEPH). However, we plan to apply for accreditation in the near future.

Are there any pre-requisite requirements?

For the MPH Nutrition Concentration, students from any related undergraduate major are invited to apply. Students do need to have taken undergraduate courses in statistics and nutrition. To apply to the MPH Veterinary Public Health concentration an undergraduate degree with a background in biochemistry, chemistry, biology, mathematics, statistics, and animal disease is preferred though all students with an undergraduate degree and some science background are encouraged to apply.

What is the policy for transferring graduate credits?

Students who have completed graduate courses (that have not been used towards a completed degree) at other accredited universities may request that courses are reviewed for transfer credit. The School of Graduate Studies allows a maximum of 12 credits to be transferred. Credits can be transferred as long as the MPH degree will be completed within 8 years of starting the transferred coursework, although exceptions can be made on an individual basis.

Who should write the letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation should be from former professors, employers, or other professional references. Personal references are not recommended. Letters of recommendation should emphasize your potential as a graduate student.

Is the GRE required?

Starting Summer 2021, the GRE will no longer be required to apply for either of the the CAAS MPH concentrations.

How can I check on my application status?

If you have general application questions, please contact the graduate school directly at You can also contact Dr. Mateja Savoie Roskos at if you are applying to the MPH Nutrition concentration and Dr. Jane Kelly at if you are applying to the MPH Veterinary Public Health concentration.

How much does tuition cost?

The MPH program requires a total of 42 credit hours. Tuition and fees are based on credit hour and differ for in state and out of state students. For students located in Utah, tuition for online courses is the same as face-to-face courses. For students outside Utah, there is a special tuition rate for online courses that does not take residency into account. Total tuition costs in 2021 are between $16,000-$19,000, however, tuition costs can change from year to year. Use the USU Tuition and Fees Estimator for more information.

Are there scholarships available?

The university, college, and the NDFS and ADVS departments have scholarships and assistantships that often become available for graduate students. MPH faculty notify students when these opportunities become available within the department and college. We also recommend looking for scholarships on the USU website. Additional scholarship opportunities are often available through professional organizations. As a result, we highly recommend students are involved in public health organizations.

Where should I go for more information about the program?

If you are interested in the MPH Nutrition concentration, please contact Dr. Mateja Savoie Roskos at or 435-797-5777. If you are interested in the MPH Veterinary Public Health concentration please contact Dr. Jane Kelly at or 801-798-5435.

Are the CAAS MPH programs part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) Western Regional Graduate Programs (WRGP)?

Yes! Both CAAS MPH concentrations are part of the WICHE WRGP. See more information about potential tuition savings for non-Utah residents.