Preparing for Advising Appointment
What you should do before, during, and after an advising appointment?
It is important to take advantage of the time that you have with your academic advisor to ensure that you are following the right path in your road to graduation. Here are some important tips as to things you should do BEFORE, DURING and AFTER you meet with your academic advisor...
Before your academic advising appointment, you should:
- Think about your educational goals, major options and progress in your courses (if currently enrolled).
- Come with questions to ask your academic advisor and bring necessary materials such as your academic advising portfolio, latest degree audit, etc. (if currently enrolled).
- Be familiar with university policies and procedures, academic deadlines and course selections.
- Know where your appointment is located:
- Kaylee Roholt appointments are in Industrial Science 112.
- College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences Student Services Center, Agricultural Sciences (AGRS) Room 421
- Plan ahead and be prepared to arrive on time. The Student Services Center is a busy place. It is always good to arrive early.
If you are fifteen minutes late, you may have to reschedule your appointment.
During your advising appointment, you should:
- Participate and be engaged in the advising process. Academic advising is a two-way street. We need to know what your educational and academic goals are in order to be able to point you in the right direction.
- Ask questions when you don’t understand. This is your opportunity to get answers to your academic questions and/or concerns.
- Take notes. You and your academic advisor may discuss a lot of information and you can use your notes to refer back to later.
After your advising appointment, you should:
- Formulate your class schedule based on the course recommendations provided so that you are ready for the registration period.
- Review the materials given to you and follow-up with recommended resources and actions suggested to you.
- Write down any questions you may still have for future appointments.
When should I schedule an appointment?
If you are within two semesters of graduation, please request a graduation application right here. After you have completed the application, schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor to complete this application.
Please schedule an advising appointment with your advisor as soon as possible.