Plants, Soils & Climate

iPACE, an international partnership in agriculture, climate & environment, encourages cooperation through exchange programs with Taiwanese partner universities. Enhance your knowledge and build skills essential in science and today’s economy. Learn and understand different customs while increasing your cultural know-how. Expand personal and academic networks by working directly with professors on projects.

We recognize that this international partnership would not have been made possible without a generous donation from Don and Ming Wang to USU’s College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences. As such, we strive to make use of this funding by building on leadership and shared vision to create more collaboration between Taiwanese universities like National Chung Hsing University (NCHU) and National Central University (NCU) and USU, bolstering student success and creating lasting mentorship.

iPACE Origins

This USU partnership with Taiwan originated with efforts in 2011 by retired banking executive and USU alumni, Don J. Wang (second to the left) who later partnered with USU Professor Shi-Yu “Simon” Wang (middle) in 2014. Together they began the long road to establishing academic connections between USU and institutions in Taiwan. Don and his wife, Ming, of Houston, TX, contributed funding to support iPACE through their charitable E&M Foundation.

In May 2015, Simon, Don and Ming were accompanied by USU College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences Dean Kenneth White and Ag Econ Department Head Dillon Feuz on a week-long trip to Taiwan. They visited National Taiwan University, National Central University (Simon’s alma mater) and National Chung Hsing University (Don’s alma mater). Subsequent visits included a March 2018 visit by 15 USU faculty to establish research and teaching collaborations with faculty at Taiwanese institutions as well as to coordinate student exchanges.

simon, don and ming

Dual USU-NCHU Degree

Interested in studying abroad? National Chung Hsing University (NCHU) and Utah State University (USU) have a dual degree program for you. Participate in a bi-national graduate experience and other research opportunities by spending at least 1 year at the partner institution, working with faculty who also serve on the student's committee.

dual degree

Apply for the Graduate Dual Degree Exchange at Utah State University (for NCHU students) or the Graduate Dual Degree Exchange at NCHU (for USU students) in order to start your dual degree graduate experience. Questions? Email Simon Wang at simon.wang@usu.edu or the Study Abroad office at studyabroad@usu.edu

iPACE News

View All iPACE News iPACE Publications
S-Y Simon  Wang

S-Y Simon Wang

Professor, Climate Dynamics

AGRS 114