USU Aviation is excited to offer Private Pilot Ground School and the Private Pilot Certification as accelerated 9-week courses at USU Eastern in Price, Utah. The Carbon Country Airport is located just 5 miles from the USU Eastern campus. This is a great option for new freshman to kickstart their flight training.
- AV 2330 Private Pilot Ground School (4 credits)
- AV 2350 Private Pilot Certification (3 credits)
- Admitted as a degree-seeking student to Utah State University (Aviation Technology – Professional Pilot Fixed Wing major)
- 17 years of age by course completion date
- Read, speak, write and understand the English language
- Have original Birth Certification and U.S. government issue identification OR current passport
- Current FAA Medical and student pilot's license
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I do the 9-week session in Logan?
No. Only the 14-week session is available in Logan.
When do I need to start my FAA Medical?
No later than March. We require that flight students have their medical in hand by the first day of class. If you do not, you will be dropped from both courses.
What medical certificate should I get?
We recommend you get a first class medical. Although you only need a third class medical to be a student pilot, we recommend getting a first class just so you know you can get it; most jobs will require a first class medical.
How flexible is the contact time for the courses?
It is not. Attendance in ground school is mandatory, and planes are reserved for summer program students at specific scheduled times.
What if I have a vacation planned during the semester?
Don’t. Plan to spend these nine weeks in Price attending ground school and flying each day. If you miss days, it is unlikely you will complete your private by the end of the semester.
Are there dorms or other living accommodations available in Price?
Yes. There are dorms on the USU Eastern campus.